TNPSC Group 2 & 2A: Prelims Syllabus – English
SSLC Standard (Objective Type Examination)
- Match the following words and phrases given in Column A with their meanings
in Column B.
- Choose the correct ‘Synonym’ for the underlined word from the options given.
- Choose the correct ‘Antonym’ for the underlined word from the options given.
- Select the correct word (Prefix, Suffix).
- Fill in the blanks with suitable Article.
- Fill in the blanks with suitable Preposition.
- Select the correct Question Tag.
- Select the correct Tense.
- Select the correct Voice.
- Fill in the blanks (Infinitive, Gerund, Participle).
- Identify the sentence pattern of the following sentence (Subject, Verb, Object…).
- Fill in the blanks with correct Homophones.
- Find out the Error (Articles, Preposition, Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb).
- Select the correct sentence.
- Find out the odd words (Verb, Noun, Adjective, Adverb).
- Select the correct Plural forms.
- Identify the sentence (Simple, Compound, Complex Sentence).
- Identify the correct Degree.
- Form a new word by blending the words.
- Form compound words (eg.: Noun+Verb, Gerund+Noun).
- British English – American English.
(a) Figures of Speech
(Alliteration – Simile – Metaphor – Personification – Onomatopoeia – Anaphora – Rhyme Scheme – Rhyming Words – Repetition, etc.)
(b) Poetry Appreciation
(c) Important Lines
List of poems
- Life – Henry Van Dyke
- I am Every Woman – Rakhi Nariani Shirke
- The Secret of the Machines – Rudyard Kipling
- The Ant and The Cricket – Adapted from Aesop’s fables
- No Men are Foreign – James Falconer Kirkup
- The House on Elm Street – Nadia Bush
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening – Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree – William Blake
- On Killing a Tree – Gieve Patel
- The Spider and the Fly – Mary Botham Howitt
- The River – Caroline Ann Bowles
- The Comet – Norman Littleford
- The Stick-together Families – Edgar Albert Guest
- Special Hero – Christina M. Kerschen
- Making Life Worth While – George Elliot
- A Thing of Beauty – John Keats
- Lessons in Life – Brigette Bryant & Daniel Ho
- My Computer Needs a Break – Shanthini Govindan
- Your Space – David Bates
- Sea Fever – John Masefield
- Courage – Edgar Albert Guest
- Team Work – Edgar Albert Guest
- From a Railway Carriage – Robert Louis Stevenson
- Indian Seasons – Nisha Dyrene
- A Tragic Story – William Makepeace Thackeray
I. List of prose
- His First Flight – Liam O’Flaherty
- The Tempest – Tales From Shakespeare
- The Last Lesson – Alphonse Daudet
- The Little Hero of Holland – Mary Mapes Dodge
- The Dying Detective – Arthur Conan Doyle
- Learning the Game (Book Extract) – Sachin Tendulkar
- The Cat and the Painkiller (An Extract from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer) – Mark Twain
- Water – The Elixir of Life – Sir C.V.Raman
- The Story of a Grizzly Cub – William Temple Hornaday
- Sir Isaac Newton – Nathaniel Hawthorne
- My Reminiscence – Rabindranath Tagore
- The Woman on Platform 8 – Ruskin Bond
- The Nose Jewel – C.Rajagopalachari
- A Birthday Letter – Jawaharlal Nehru
II. Biographies of –
Mahatma Gandhi – Jawaharlal Nehru – Subash Chandra Bose – Helen Keller –
Kalpana Chawala – Dr.Salim Ali – Rani of Jhansi – Nelson Mandela – Abraham Lincoln
III. General Comprehension
TNPSC Group 2 & 2A: Prelims Syllabus – General Science – Revised Syllabus
General Studies (Preliminary Examination)
Topics for Objective Type
Unit-i: General Science
- Scientific Knowledge and Scientific temper – Power of Reasoning – Rote Learning Vs Conceptual Learning – Science as a tool to understand the past, present and future.
- Nature of Universe – General Scientific Laws – Mechanics – Properties of Matter, Force, Motion and Energy – Everyday application of the basic principles of Mechanics, lectricity and Magnetism, Light, Sound, Heat, Nuclear Physics, Laser, Electronics and Communications.
- Elements and Compounds, Acids, Bases, Salts, Petroleum Products, Fertilizers,
- Main concepts of Life Science, Classification of Living Organisms, Evolution, Genetics, Physiology, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene, Human
- Environment and
Unit-ii: Current Events
- History – Latest diary of events – National symbols – Profile of States – Eminent personalities and places in news – Sports – Books and
- Polity – Political parties and political system in India – Public awareness and General administration – Welfare oriented Government schemes and their utility, Problems in Public Delivery
- Geography – Geographical
- Economics – Current socio-economic
- Science – Latest inventions in Science and Technology
Unit- iii: Geography Of India
- Location – Physical features – Monsoon, rainfall, weather and climate – Water resources – Rivers in India – Soil, minerals and natural resources – Forest and wildlife – Agricultural
- Transport –
- Social geography – Population density and distribution – Racial, linguistic groups and major
- Natural calamity – Disaster Management – Environmental pollution: Reasons and preventive measures – Climate change – Green energy.
Unit – iv: History and Culture Of India
- Indus valley civilization – Guptas, Delhi Sultans, Mughals, and Marathas – Age of Vijayanagaram and Bahmani Kingdoms – South Indian
- Change and Continuity in the Socio-Cultural History of
- Characteristics of Indian culture, Unity in diversity – Race, language,
- India as a Secular State, Social
Unit-v: Indian Polity
- Constitution of India – Preamble to the Constitution – Salient features of the Constitution – Union, State, and Union
- Citizenship, Fundamental Rights, Fundamental Duties, Directive Principles of State
- Union Executive, Union legislature – State Executive, State Legislature – Local governments, Panchayat
- Spirit of Federalism: center-state
- Election – Judiciary in India – Rule of
- Corruption in public life – Anti-corruption measures – Lokpal and Lokayukta – Right to Information – Empowerment of women – Consumer protection forums, Human rights
Unit-vi: Indian Economy
- Nature of Indian economy – Five-year plan models – an assessment – Planning Commission and Niti
- Sources of revenue – Reserve Bank of India – Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy – Finance Commission – Resource sharing between Union and State Governments – Goods and Services
- Structure of Indian Economy and Employment Generation, Land reforms and Agriculture – Application of Science and Technology in agriculture – Industrial growth – Rural welfare oriented programs – Social problems – Population, education, health, employment,
Unit-vii: Indian National Movement
- National renaissance – Early uprising against British rule – Indian National Congress – Emergence of leaders – R.Ambedkar, Bhagat Singh, Bharathiar, V.O.Chidambaranar, Jawaharlal Nehru, Kamarajar, Mahatma Gandhi, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Thanthai Periyar, Rajaji, Subash Chandra Bose and others.
- Different modes of Agitation: Growth of Satyagraha and Militant movements.
- Communalism and
Unit- viii: History, Culture, Heritage and Socio – Political Movements in Tamil Nadu
- History of Tamil Society, related Archaeological discoveries, Tamil Literature from Sangam age till contemporary
- Thirukkural :
- (a) Significance as a Secular literature
- (b) Relevance to Everyday Life
- (c) Impact of Thirukkural on Humanity
- (d) Thirukkural and Universal Values – Equality, Humanism, etc
- (e) Relevance to Socio – Politico-Economic affairs
- (f ) Philosophical content in Thirukkural
- Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle – Early agitations against British Rule – Role of women in the freedom struggle.
- Evolution of 19th and 20th Century Socio-Political movements in Tamil Nadu – Justice Party, Growth of Rationalism – Self Respect Movement, Dravidian movement and Principles underlying both these movements, Contributions of Thanthai Periyar and Perarignar
Unit – ix: Development Administration in Tamil Nadu
- Human Development Indicators in Tamil Nadu and a comparative assessment across the Country – Impact of Social Reform movements in the Socio – Economic Development of Tamil
- Political parties and Welfare schemes for various sections of people – Rationale behind Reservation Policy and access to Social Resources – Economic trends in Tamil Nadu – Role and impact of social welfare schemes in the Socio – economic development of Tamil
- Social Justice and Social Harmony as the Cornerstones of Socio – Economic
- Education and Health systems in Tamil
- Geography of Tamil Nadu and its impact on Economic
- Achievements of Tamil Nadu in various
- e-governance in Tamil
Unit-x: Aptitude and Mental Ability
- Simplification – Percentage – Highest Common Factor (HCF) – Lowest Common Multiple (LCM).
- Ratio and Simple interest – Compound interest – Area – Volume – Time and Work.
- Logical Reasoning – Puzzles-Dice – Visual Reasoning – Alphanumeric Reasoning – Number Series
TNPSC Group 2 Mains Syllabus
As mentioned earlier, the Mains exam will have two papers. The syllabus for PAPER-II has been discussed below.
Main Written Examination Syllabus Paper – II
I. Role and impact of science and Technology in the Development of India and Tamil Nadu.
Nature of universe-General scientific laws-Scientific instruments-inventions and discoveries Science glossary-Physical quantities, standards and units-Mechanics and properties of matter Force, motion and energy-Heat, light and sound-Magnetism, electricity and electronics – Elements and compounds -Acids, bases and salts-Oxidation and reduction-Carbon, nitrogen and their compounds-Fertilizers-pesticides, insecticides-Main concepts of life science-The cell the basic unit of life-Classification of living organism-Nutrition and dietetics-Respiration-lood and blood-circulation-Endocrine system-Reproductive system-Animals, plants and human life Govt. policy -organizations on Science and Technology Role, achievement & Impact of Science and technology-Energy-self sufficiency-oil exploration- Genetics-the science of heredity Environment, ecology, health and hygiene, Bio-diversity and its conservation-Human diseases. prevention and remedies-Communicable diseases and non-communicable diseases-Alcoholism and Drug abuse-Computer-science and advancement
II. Administration of Union and States with special reference to Tamil Nadu
State government organization structure, functions and control mechanism-District administration role in people’s welfare oriented programmes-Industrial map of Tamil Nadu role of state government Public Services role of recruitment agencies-State finance resources, budget and financial administration-Use af IT in administration – e-governance in the State-Natural calamities Disaster Management Union and State Social welfare Government sponsored schemes with reference to Tamil Nadu-Relationship between State and Union-Industrial map of India -Public Services – role of recruitment agencies in Union Government-Social welfare-government sponsored schemes by Government of India
III. Socio-Economic Issues in India/ Tamil Nadu Population Explosion Unemployment issues in India & Tamil Nadu Child Labour
Economic Issues (a) Poverty (b) Sanitation Rural and Urban (c) Corruption in public life – Anti Corruption measures – CVC Lok-adalats. Ombudsman, CAG-Illiteracy Women Empowerment – Role of the Govt. in Women Empowerment Social injustice to womenfolk – Domestic violence, dowry menace, sexual assault-Impact of violence on the growth of the nation Religious violence, Terrorism and Communal violence.. Human Rights issues-Right to information Central and State Commission. Education – Linkage between Education and Economic Growth-Community Development Programme-Employment Guarantee Scheme-Self Employment and Entrepreneurship Development-Role of N.G.O’s in Social Welfare – Govt, Policy on Health